I used to be a major type-A workaholic. I ate like a college student. I skipped my vitamins and relied on coffee to get through the day. Exercise wasn’t much of a priority. As you can probably imagine, my stress and anxiety were through the roof. I was anemic and struggled with mental fogginess for a long time. But I didn’t realize that these symptoms were a result of the choices I was making every day. I just assumed that it was normal to feel that way.
When my hubby and I started talking about having children, I felt that it was time to make some serious changes. That I needed to live a healthier life if I wanted to have a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby. That if I wanted to become a mom, I would need to take better care of myself before I could take care of someone else.
I connected the dots…I finally realized that what you eat and how you live your life directly affect your mental health and physical wellbeing. It seems so obvious now, but it wasn’t at the time. So, we waited a few months to start trying and during that time, I committed to taking better care of myself. I started eating better, taking my vitamins regularly, practicing yoga more, and managing my stress levels. That was a huge turning point in my life. And although I miss my old, lazy ways sometimes (aka Taco Bell), I could never go back to the way I used to be. When you know better, you do better.
Then I started to learn about how many toxic chemicals are in our personal care and beauty products. And our cleaning products. And our medicine. And our furniture. And how this can affect our bodies, and our health, too. And our babies, of course! It’s shocking and depressing that you can’t trust what’s out there just because it made its way to a grocery store shelf or to your favorite retailer’s website. Naturally, I get upset when I think of all the years of my life that I used such unhealthy products and ate such unhealthy foods, but I can’t go back in time and change that.
The only thing I could do was make changes going forward. So I started looking for healthy alternatives for all the toxic chemicals that are prevalent in all areas of our life. Of course, that’s what led me to create the Natural Baby Registry Guide, where I list out some of the best natural and non-toxic baby products. And it’s also what led me to be open to learning about essential oils as an alternative to the chemicals in beauty products, medicines, and cleaning products. I love essential oils and I am excited to share them with my readers!
What's in this article?
- Essential Oils 101
Why I Use Essential Oils
Lemon. Lavender. Eucalyptus. Peppermint. Tea Tree Oil. Clary Sage Oil. These are some of my favorite oils. I started using these oils (and others) because I wanted to replace my toxic cleaning and beauty products, and at the same time boost my mental and physical wellbeing.
I wanted to feel better. (Don’t we all?)
I use essential oils because I find them invigorating and powerful. I use essential oils because I believe in nature. Because I don’t want to rely on harsh chemicals when they aren’t needed (though I believe there are times when they become necessary). I use essential oils because they work for me and they make me feel amazing.
I strongly believe that when used properly, essential oils are indispensable to a healthy lifestyle.
So, let’s get a little deeper into what essential oils are, how they can be used, and which brand I prefer, because I admit that I didn’t know a lot of this when I first got started.
Essential Oils 101
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are concentrated oils made from plant extracts. They are distilled or pressed from the most powerful parts of a plant – the shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, fruit, rinds, resins, and herbs – for their therapeutic benefits. Essential oils are highly concentrated, making them quite potent; for example, it takes approximately 75 lemons to make just one 15ml bottle of Young Living’s lemon essential oil. Personally, I find that incredible!
What Are the Benefits of Using Essential Oils?
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years and offer numerous therapeutic benefits. They can provide support for every system in the body, from the endocrine and immune systems to the muscular and circulatory systems. Essential oils can support healthy weight and can also be used as part of your beauty routine. They can aid in mental health and in managing stress. Additionally, essential oils are vital to creating a non-toxic environment at home. You can avoid using harsh chemicals in your home by integrating some of the most commonly used essential oils. It’s really easy to do!
They say there’s an oil for everything, and there probably is. I believe that nature provides for us in many ways. While there are some commonly used oils that I will recommend below, there may be additional oils that may be beneficial for you, depending on what your individual needs are.
If you have a question about how to use oils for a specific purpose, please don’t hesitate to contact me. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll try and find it for you.
How I Use Essential Oils
There are many ways to use essential oils, and each oil has its own application guidelines. You can diffuse oils, apply them topically, or inhale them, and some oils can also be ingested. You can add them to your DIY cleaning products and use them as part of your beauty routine. It’s important to use oils responsibly, such as using a carrier oil when called for.
I love to take a few drops of my favorite oils, rub them between my palms, and just take in the scent. When I need an extra kick, I’ll rub some more on my wrists and behind my ears. Some oils will linger for hours, giving me an added boost throughout the day. I even used oils during my pregnancy and while I was in labor to help keep my labor progressing. I love my oils! But at the same time, they’re powerful and I try to use them in moderation and with intention.
Why I Switched to Young Living Essential Oils
For years, I used to buy a couple of popular brands of essential oils from Whole Foods and Amazon, and although I loved their scents, I was never 100% convinced about their quality. They were inexpensive and not very potent, and I do believe that you get what you pay for.
I switched over to Young Living as soon as I learned about their high standards and the quality of their oils. I prefer Young Living because of their commitment to producing the finest quality therapeutic-grade oils, and their “Seed to Seal” guarantee:
Young Living believes that you and your family deserve products that are genuine, free of harmful synthetics, and of unmatched purity. Seed to Seal is our promise to you that we are committed to providing just that to your family. From the seeds we plant to the moment we seal our bottles, we focus on naturally occurring and high-quality components to provide you with a pristine final product without compromise. – seedtoseal.com
Here are just some of the reasons that I chose Young Living essential oils, and why I no longer use any other brands of essential oils:
- The land used to grow Young Living’s plants and herbs is free of residual herbicides, pesticides, and chemicals
- Young Living harvests crops at their peak time, ensuring the highest-quality and most potent oils
- Young Living distills their oils at minimum pressures and temperatures, even though it is much less expensive to distill oils at high pressures and high temperatures (as many other companies do) because this could produce an oil that smells great but lacks its therapeutic compounds
- Oils will be discarded if there are any issues or mistakes made during the distillation process
- Young Living has an expertly staffed and fully equipped in-house laboratory to test oil composition, and continuously monitors the distillation process to make sure that the oils contain all of the correct therapeutic components
- Young Living owns and operates four large farms in Utah, Idaho, France, and Ecuador, all of which were clean and free of chemicals for at least 50 years before they bought the land
- When Young Living can’t grow a crop on their own farms, they routinely visit their growers and suppliers to ensure that their high standards are being upheld
- I have friends who have personally toured many of Young Living’s farms and suppliers around the globe, and knowing that they have seen the farms firsthand gives me confidence in Young Living’s commitment to quality
- I have tried out other popular brands of oils before committing to Young Living, and didn’t find them to be anywhere near as potent or effective
I believe in the quality of Young Living oils and wouldn’t bring them into my home or share them with my family and friends otherwise.
Ready to Get Started Using Essential Oils?
First, let me say congratulations on making the decision to try something new. It takes courage to go outside of your comfort zone, but that’s where our growth lies! That’s where new experiences and opportunities can be found.
There are hundreds of essential oils and oil blends available, but don’t let that overwhelm you. The great news is that you only need 10-20 oils to build yourself a good kit. I recommend purchasing Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit because it’s the most economical way to get started. For only $160, the starter kit includes over $300 worth of essential oils and a free diffuser worth over $80. It’s a great value and the perfect introduction to essential oils.
Along with some samples and literature, the kit includes:
- Essential Oils (5-ml bottles)*:
- Lavender: Lavender is a relaxation oil, and probably my favorite! It’s soothing and oh so very versatile. It can be used in a bath, diffused, inhaled, and more. You’ll get tons of use out of Lavender. I use mine daily!
- Frankincense: A grounding oil, Frankincense is perfect for focus, relaxation, and meditation. I love this oil for stress relief. It’s also used to promote skin health and radiance. This is one of the most popular oils – you’ll get a lot of use out of Frankincense!
- Purification: A versatile blend, Purification is made from citronella, lavandin, lemongrass, rosemary, myrtle, and tea tree oils. Purification is perfect for making DIY cleaning products and neutralizing the air in your home.
- R.C.: A blend of cypress, spruce, and three types of Eucalyptus oils, R.C. is an invigorating oil. You can place a few drops in your bath or shower, rub it on your neck before a workout, or rub a few drops between your hands.
- PanAway: A blend containing wintergreen, clove, and peppermint oils, PanAway is another soothing mix. It’s great after a workout or to relax and unwind.
- Stress Away: As the name suggests, Stress Away is a relaxing and calming blend. It contains lime, vanilla, copaiba, cedarwood, and lavender. This is one of my favorites as well.
- Thieves Vitality: Thieves is a combination of lemon, clove, eucalyptus radiata, cinnamon bark, and rosemary essential oils. The vitality blend is great for promoting overall wellness and a healthy immune system when taken internally.
- DiGize Vitality: A dietary supplement, DiGize Vitality is a blend of tarragon, ginger, peppermint, juniper, fennel, lemongrass, anise, and patchouli oils. It can be taken after a meal in a gel capsule or added to a glass of water.
- Peppermint Vitality: With an invigorating scent and cooling sensation, Peppermint is great for digestive support. The oil can also be used as a flavoring agent for cooking.
- Lemon Vitality: Lemon essential oil is invigorating and aromatic, making it one of my favorites. The vitality essential oil can be added to your drinking water, used to flavor dishes and dressings, and for baking.
- Copaiba Vitality: Made from the Copaiba tree, this essential oil has a sweet scent. Many people like to take this internally to promote wellness. You can add it to teas or add it to a capsule.
- Dewdrop Diffuser: Using ultrasonic technology, the Dewdrop Diffuser functions as a humidifier, diffuser, and atomizer in one. It’s perfect for diffusing your favorite oils!
The Premium Starter Kit is a great investment in your wellbeing and your family’s! To purchase yours, click here. Once you do purchase your kit, you’ll receive some additional goodies from me, including a reference guide on how to use essential oils. I’ll also be in touch to walk you through how to use your oils and answer any questions you have. Very exciting!
If You Buy the Kit, Do You Have to Sell Essential Oils?
No – you do not have to sell essential oils if you buy the Starter Kit. This is one of the most common questions I get. You don’t ever have to sell any oils or talk to anyone about them.
Though, if you find that you love the oils like I did, you may want to share them with people that you care about. Once I started actively using my oils and learned more about Young Living’s quality standards, I naturally started sharing the information with my friends and family, and later with my readers. It’s also a great way to earn free oils.
And, if you’re looking for something new or different in your life, or maybe just want an amazing side hustle, you can earn great income by educating others about using essential oils. You’re passionate about natural living, and you would get to share this with others while earning an income.
So, no – you won’t have to sell anything to anyone, but if you buy the starter kit as a wholesale member (which is what I recommend to everyone anyway), you will always have the option to become a distributor if you ever decide to. Even if you don’t intend to sell oils, I suggest signing up as a wholesale member for the 24% discount on all Young Living products. If you’d prefer not to sign up as a wholesale member, you could purchase products retail — but you won’t have access to the 24% savings.
What if You Have More Questions?
If you have more questions, you are always welcome to contact me! I also offer webinars and classes that go into much more detail about why and how to use essential oils. Please send me a note to be invited.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.