Hello, beautiful mama!
My name is Yasmine and I’m the founder of The Gentle Nursery.
My team and I offer parents practical advice for avoiding harmful chemicals and unnecessary elements in baby products – whenever possible and realistic. As a mom myself, I’m passionate about helping parents give their baby the best start in life.
The site is also a helpful resource for knowing which baby products to buy, and which are simply unnecessary. (Hint: there are a lot of unnecessary baby products!) Making good and healthy choices for your baby doesn’t have to be overwhelming – let’s create a safe, gentle, and non-toxic environment for your little one, together!
When I was pregnant with my oldest, I excitedly browsed the aisles at the nearby baby shops, like most moms do, thinking that baby products wouldn’t, shouldn’t, couldn’t possibly be harmful!
As I started reading labels and digging a little deeper into some of the common products that are out there (and super popular) for babies, I discovered that so many of these commonly used products contain harmful chemicals (hello, companies like Johnson & Johnson and yes, even Aveeno). How can these companies expect us to expose our sweet little babies to dangerous chemicals and toxic ingredients?
This really upset me (and still does to this day!) so I decided that I would minimize these harmful products in my home. That I would create a gentle environment for my son when he was born, as best as I could. So, it took me weeks and weeks of (semi-obsessive) research to find the best options in each product category, but I learned a ton and discovered some great companies that make healthy products for children and babies.
And now, I’m passionate about sharing this information with other moms and dads who want the same for their little ones. Whether that means finding an organic swaddle blanket, or non-toxic nursery furniture that’s made in the USA, I’ve done the research, tried the products (in most cases), and bring these recommendations to you.
I’m also passionate about health and wellness for moms and babies, so I created Biomeology. We make targeted supplements for moms and babies, and our first product is a prenatal probiotic for moms to take before, during, and after pregnancy.
My Promise to You
Here are the commitments you can expect from The Gentle Nursery:
- Honesty. My team and I won’t recommend a product we don’t believe in and haven’t vetted ourselves. You’ll hear the truth — even when it’s not 100% positive.
- High Standards. We’ll search high and low to find the very best options for you. If you are looking for something that isn’t listed on The Gentle Nursery, contact us and let us know.
- Commitment. We’re dedicated to bringing you the best and helping you make healthy choices for your entire family!
- Candor. The advice and recommendations we give here are no different from what we’d say to a close friend over lunch (or text message, more likely).
- Price Consciousness. In some cases, the products we recommend might be more expensive than their mainstream or traditional counterparts, but that’s not always the case. We always try to find cost-effective options and promise not to recommend the most expensive option simply because it’s the most expensive. That’s simply not our style.
- The 80/20 Rule. We try to be realistic about what we can do to protect our little ones from harmful chemicals. Otherwise, we’ll just drive ourselves crazy. So, I try to live by the 80/20 rule, which means that most of the products recommended are non-toxic or organic, but not all will be. That means that we recognize you may not want to spend $900 on a changing table that is made from solid wood, and that I’ll find the best alternative for you. We have to be realistic and not spend our time stressing — even stress is toxic.
What “Gentle” Means
Babies are a blessing, and we hope to help parents make healthy, baby-friendly choices. To us, that means all of the following, whenever possible:
- Choosing organic or natural products
- Using minimal baby care products
- Avoiding GMOs, artificial ingredients, petrochemicals, endocrine disruptors, and additives
- Reducing the use of plastics and other known toxic ingredients
- Identifying safe products and approaches to baby care and development
- Finding ways to gently and respectfully care for babies
- Sourcing products made in countries with reliable labor and manufacturing practices
I couldn’t do this without an incredible team of women and advisors who help make this possible. This is definitely a team effort, so team bios will be added soon! If you’re looking to get in touch with us for business development, advertising, or collaborations, please contact Allie.
Check out our latest articles
- The 13 Best Eczema Creams for Babies and Toddlers
- The Best Organic Baby Formulas: 2020 Guide to the Healthiest Options
- The Best Diaper Bags To Carry All Your Baby Things In Style
- 10 Simple Ways to Reduce Your Baby’s Exposure to Glyphosate and Other Pesticides
- The Best Organic Crib Mattresses for Babies