Ideally, anything that makes direct contact with your baby should not contain harmful chemicals. That’s why it’s so important to choose natural, gentle, non-toxic baby wipes.
What's in this article?
Disposable Non-Toxic Baby Wipes:
I love that there are more and more natural baby wipes coming on the market! We now have numerous choices when it comes to choosing disposable non-toxic baby wipes, but not all are as gentle as they might seem. Here are some of the gentlest brands of disposable baby wipes:
EWG Skin Deep Rating: 1.
Water Wipes are made from 99.9% purified water, and the other 0.1% is grapefruit seed extract. The company calls these “the world’s purest baby wipes” and for good reason – they are chemical free, and essentially free of much else. While some other wipes can possibly cause diaper rash, given their harsh ingredients, Water Wipes are so pure that they may help possibly prevent diaper rash.
They have EWG’s best rating of 1, but it turns out that grapefruit seed extract can commonly contain contaminants such as methylparaben and triclosan, which are exactly the harmful chemicals we are trying to avoid. Water Wipes has confirmed to me that they test every batch of grapefruit seed extract for contamination. This is why I have continued using Water Wipes despite the concerns over their use of grapefruit seed extract. But as with any wipes, use them sparingly (preferably only when baby has pooped).
We only use Water Wipes at home, but the adhesive on the packaging wears out after multiple uses, so they don’t last that long in a diaper bag. For on-the-go needs, we use Honest Company wipes.
EWG Skin Deep Rating: 1.
While I’m not always a fan of Honest Company products, I do recommend their non-toxic baby wipes. They have an EWG rating of 1, and their wipes are free of fragrances, alcohol, chlorine, phthalates, formaldehyde carriers, parabens, phenols, quaternary ammonium compounds, SLS, lanolin, and most allergens. While these wipes are about $5 on the Honest Company website, Amazon charges a higher price for the wipes but includes free shipping for Prime members. So unless you’re making a large purchase from Honest Company ($50 or more) that will give you free shipping, you’ll pay less if you purchase these wipes from Amazon.
EWG Skin Deep Rating: 2, due to possible additives in one ingredient.
Made in the UK, Jackson Reece wipes contain no alcohol, parabens, fragrances, chlorine, lanolin, SLS, SLES, petrochemicals, phenoxyethanol, or benzoates. More than 99% of the wipes are made from naturally derived ingredients from renewable vegetable or plant extracts.
Organic Baby Wipes (Reusable):
If you’d like to avoid disposable wipes altogether, or only use them while away from home, you can purchase reusable organic baby wipes. Of course, these will need to be washed regularly, so plan ahead and purchase at least 18 cloth wipes.
Under the Nile Terry Wipes are 100% organic and made from Egyptian cotton (and made in Egypt), Under the Nile is a wonderful brand! We used these wipes and they were great. They did thin out after some use, but we have been using them for almost 2 years and haven’t needed to replace them yet. Also consider their Sherpa Wash Cloths.
Made from premium organic bamboo, and certified by Oeko-Tex, these wash cloths are soft and gentle on baby’s skin. The reason we didn’t go with this brand is because they’re manufactured in China, but they’re still a good choice given that the fabric is certified.
DIY Baby Wipes:
To make your own disposable wipes, purchase some dry disposable wipes and simply add water with a spray bottle, before use. To make reusable wipes, you could cut terry cloth or flannel fabric into wipe-sized squares and simply keep a spray bottle filled with water on baby’s changing table.