If you’re pregnant, one of the smartest things you can do before your due date is to prepare some healthy freezer meals for the first month postpartum. Once your baby arrives, cooking and meal planning healthy meals probably won’t be much of a priority. Not to mention, you may not have the energy in those early days to prepare healthy meals.
But you don’t want to find yourself scrambling or always eating take-out. That’s why I’ve prepared a list of healthy and easy-to-make freezer meals for you to make before your due date. Prepare these as early as one month before your due date (or earlier if you’re expecting twins or are high risk).
How to Prepare Freezer Meals The Easy Way
I’ve made freezer meals enough times to be able to say that it’s important to follow these steps and stay focused – or you’ll find yourself standing all day in the kitchen trying to food prep.
- Schedule. Set aside time in your schedule when you can dedicate a few hours to prepping your freezer meals.
- Shop. Before the day arrives, select the recipes you plan to make and make a shopping list before going to the grocery store.
- Print. Printing out the recipes will make food prepping go a lot easier. It will make you crazy if you try to keep switching browser tabs or scrolling on your phone while trying to food prep.
- Prepare. When it’s time to get started, set out all of your food, utensils, and supplies.
- Assemble. To assemble your freezer meals, add the ingredients for each item to a gallon-sized freezer bag (or Pyrex dish). Press the air out of the baggie before sealing it. Some items (like rice or pasta) will be made on the day of cooking, so these items can be left out of the freezer bags. Mark the contents on the bag with a permanent marker.
- Freeze. Lay the bag flat it in the freezer. (Optional: I like to place mine in the refrigerator before freezing them so the bags don’t go into the freezer at room temp.)
When you’re ready to cook your freezer meal, simply remove the bag from the freezer and let it thaw in your refrigerator overnight. If you forget to remove it from the freezer the night before, try running the bag under warm (not hot) water.
Note: As much as I don’t like to use plastic, I don’t have a ton of room in my freezer to use glass casserole dishes. So I usually end up using BPA-free freezer bags. (Just be sure not to place any hot food in a freezer bag to minimize the risks of leaching.) I do not use or recommend foil baking pans but Pyrex baking dishes are also great if you have space.
Healthy Freezer Meal Recipes for Pregnancy
Here are several healthy freezer meal recipes for pregnancy for you to choose from. Make substitutions as needed and have fun preparing for your first month postpartum!
(Note: Be sure to also check out my list of the best dairy-free freezer meals. It’s wise to also make some dairy-free recipes just in case you need to remove dairy from your diet after your baby is born. Many babies are intolerant of dairy so it would be smart to have some of these recipes ready to go as well.)
- Chicken Soup | The Soccer Mom
- Slow Cooker Root Vegetable Stew | Gimme Some Oven
- Chicken and Black Bean Freezer Burritos | The Lemon Bowl
- Korean Chicken | Saving & Cooking
- Vegetable Pasta Bake | Eating Richly
- Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole | Food Meanderings
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole | Wholesome Yum
- Breakfast Wraps | Carmy
- Apple Pork Chops | Freezer Meals 101
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo | Orison Orchards
- Low Carb Scrambled Egg and Beef Casserole | Brooklyn Farm Girl
- Cheeseburger Soup | Low Carb Yum
- Bacon Pesto Stuffed Chicken | Wholesome Yum
- Enchilada Salsa Verde | Delicious Table
- Pork Carnitas | Hungry Hobby
- Margherita Pizza Meatballs | This Old Gal
- Chili and Rice Casserole | Hezzi D’s
- 20-Minute Tuscan Pasta | Six Sisters’ Stuff
- Lemon Pesto Chicken | Frugal Living Mom
- One Pot Chicken Soup | Created by Diane
- Homemade Freezer Stir Fry | Happy Money Saver
- Simple Beef Stew | Savory Nothings
- Peanut Lime Chicken | The Family Freezer
- Tex Mex Bean Quinoa | iFood Real
- Chicken Marsala | Freezer Meals 101
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Burgers | She Likes Food
- Paleo Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole | Once a Month Meals
- Slow Cooker Vegan Chili | Happy Kitchen Rocks
- Beef and Vegetable Stew | All the Nourishing Things
- Paleo Crockpot Meatballs | Once a Month Meals
- Chicken Enchilada Soup | Momma Fit Lyndsey
- Crock Pot Salsa Verde | All the Nourishing Things
- Homemade Stir-Fry Freezer Meal | Happy Money Saver
- Garden Vegetable Lasagna | Tastes Lovely
- Black Bean Quinoa Casserole | iFood Real
- Moroccan Spiced Meatloaf Cups | Sweet Peas and Saffron
- Cheesy Broccoli Orzo | Oh My Veggies
- Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala | The Family Freezer
- Classic Italian Minestrone Soup | La Bella Vita Cucina
I hope this list of healthy freezer meals to make before your due date has been helpful!
Be sure to also read my list of the most important rules for visiting a baby. (You’ll thank me later for this!)